“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”— Lao-tzu
Your first visit
Your initial visit will generally last between 60 to 90 minutes. Similar to doctors practicing modern medicine, during your first visit we will talk about your current health and medical history, perform a physical exam, and provide you with a treatment plan as well as your first treatment.
Because acupuncture and TCM include a whole-body approach to health, during your first exam we will spend a significant amount of time getting to know you and learning more about your health concerns. You may be asked a wide range of questions about the symptoms you are experiencing, your eating, exercise, and sleep habits, as well as your current emotional state. Like other health care offices, we will also want to know what medications you currently take as well as any significant illnesses or injuries you have experienced, your surgical history, and your history with other forms of therapy. Having this complete picture of your medical history will offer the best insight into your current health, allowing us to provide the most effective treatment plan possible.
We will also use diagnostic tools that are unique to acupuncture and TCM. For instance, we will take your pulse at different parts along both wrists. The acupuncturist will also look at your tongue to learn more about your current state of health.
Your treatment plan
Once we have gathered enough information, you will receive a comprehensive diagnosis and a treatment plan that will explain:
- Your TCM diagnosis
- Prognosis as well as duration of treatment
- What types of treatment you will receive
Getting the most out of your treatment
We want you to get the most out of your treatments, and therefore ask you to keep a few things in mind:
- Please show up to your appointments on time.
- Try to arrive not too full or hungry.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes. Avoid wearing heavy makeup/jewelry/perfume.
- Keep your cell phone off or on silent mode during treatment.
- Avoid over-exertion, drugs or alcohol for at least six hours after treatment.
- Follow your treatment plan between visits.
- Keep all of your appointments, as each visit builds upon the previous one.
- Be sure to discuss with us any questions or concerns that might come up as we progress through your treatment.